Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos |gf + veg
I don’t know about you but I can probably eat tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are such versatile meals–you can easily dress it up for dinner or stick to your breakfast classics for a morning meal. I love hosting the occasional taco night with prepped ingredients–chopped cilantro, grilled fish, sliced avocado or avocado crema, baked sweet potatoes–really, the list can go on. For guests with allergies or food sensitivities, building their own taco can alleviate any concerns about what’s actually in there. Better yet, any extra ingredients left over can easily be reheated for tacos the next night or even a burrito bowl. I hope I’ve convinced you to join the taco train by now if you weren’t already.
These vegetarian breakfast tacos were the product of seeing what I had in my fridge and pantry and were the perfect meal for a lazy weekend morning. In addition to the eggs and beans, you could also add vegetarian meat (soy chorizo is my personal favorite), baked sweet potatoes and other ingredients you have on hand. Tacos are really a great way to let your creativity shine—add what tastes good to you. It’ll all taste good together, I promise.
Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos
- 4 eggs scrambled
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bellpepper, any color rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup cabbage (or substitute other veggies on hand) shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet onions sliced
- cilantro as garnish
- chili powder to taste
- cumin to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- smoked paprika to taste
- 4 corn tortillas warmed
- grated cheese optional
- sliced avocado optional
- Rinse and prep your vegetables. Shred the cabbage, slice the onions and bell peppers and set aside. Rinse and drain the black beans in a separate bowl.
- Heat a large pan on medium with some avocado oil.
- Saute the cabbage, onions and bell pepper until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Add the black beans and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Season with cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika.
- In a medium sized bowl, crack your eggs and mix together with a fork. Add the eggs to the pan and continue to stir gently until eggs are done.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add additional seasonings to taste, if needed.
- Warm up the corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Spoon the filling inside each taco and garnish with cilantro and your favorite hot sauce. Feel free to add any additional toppings of your choice!